As I was visiting friends on Vancouver Island I decided to drop by 40 Knots Winery in the Comox area. I visited the winery last year and sampled their wines on the patio. At this visit, the 2022 white wines have not yet been bottled at 40 Knots Winery but was told that bottling will be happening soon. So during this visit to the winery, I sampled their 2021 vintage white wines. I was interested to see how white wines taste after time in a bottle, in this case, one year in the bottle. Here are my tasting notes.
My Wine Tasting Notes
1. 40 Knots Winery Spindrift Brut (BC $42++) – A Traditional Method sparkling wine, bottle fermented on lees for a minimum of 12 months. Made with Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes harvested in 2019. It has a medium straw colour with tiny bubbles rising in the glass. Brioche and toasty apple aromas. Medium body with high acidity. Tart crisp apple flavour with some grapefruit pith on the finish. Creamy small bubbles. Medium-plus length. A quality sparkling wine.
2. 40 Knots Winery Pinot Auxerrois 2021 (BC $26.50++) – Light bright lemon colour. Light apple and petrol on the nose. Medium-plus body, dry, smooth and round with lower acidity. Apple, pears and some tartness on the finish. Medium length.
3. 40 Knots Winery Unoaked Chardonnay 2021 (BC $25.50++) – A bright medium-intensity lemon colour. Nice light orange aroma. Fuller body, smooth and round. Light orange and peach flavours. Medium acidity and length.
4. 40 Knots Winery White Seas 2021 (BC $25.50++) – A blend of Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Pinot Auxerrois, Siegerrebe, and Pinot Noir. Medium-plus lemon colour. Medium-intensity aromas of petrol and a touch of stone fruits. Medium-plus body, dry, smooth and round, mouth-filling. Peaches, apples, and a touch of petrol. Fruity flavours. Medium length.
5. 40 Knots Winery Pinot Gris 2021 (BC $26.50++) – Light lemon with green tint colour. Light apple and melon aromas. Flavours of vanilla, light butterscotch and sweet spices. Round mouthfeel with medium acidity. –
From my notes, the white wines with a year in the bottle did show some age with the petrol and butterscotch flavours coming through in a few wines. But these wines still have good acidity and fruit flavours. Give them a try.