Two new wine releases from TIME Family of Wines to try. Their Chronos Sauvignon Blanc 2020 and Chronos Semillon 2020. Both grapes are found in Bordeaux and in fact are blended together to make a white Bordeaux wine! Today’s wines though are unblended so that we get to experience each variety on their own. The Semillon does have a touch of oak.
Both wines would be nice for the holidays with appetizers or a main course. I tried pairing these two wines with miso-glazed scallops I cooked. My review of the pairings follows my wine tasting notes.
My Wine Tasting Notes
TIME Family of Wines Chronos Sauvignon Blanc 2020 (BC $27.99)
Winery notes: The Okanagan Falls vineyard was harvested in two sections at two different times. Grapes were then hand sorted and whole bunch pressed. Blended together after each lot was fermented separately with different varietal specific yeasts. Grapes from the top portion of the vineyard displayed very tropical flavours, while the bottom portion of vineyard shows more grassy notes. 250 cases were produced.
Appearance: a medium-minus intensity bright lemon colour.
Nose: A medium-minus intensity nose with aromas of bramble leaf, green fruit, and touches of pineapple, honey and stone fruit. The bramble leaf transitions to a nettle aroma with decanting. I also did not get any stone fruit aroma after decanting.
Palate: Dryish, soft, smooth and round with medium acidity that gets softer on the mid-palate. Soft fruit flavours covering citrus and green fruit, stone fruits, and a hint of pineapple. A touch of grapefruit pith and bramble toward the finish. There is definitely nettle flavour with decanting and no bramble, plus I picked up a touch of lime and minerality. The other flavours persist.
Finish: Medium length finishing with some tart citrus, pith, acidic prickle and honey at the very end. No change with decanting.
A wine you can enjoy as soon as you open. I really like the smoothness of this Sauvignon Blanc.
Rating: – Mixed aromas of bramble leaf (or nettles), green fruit, pineapple and touches of honey and stonefruit. Dryish, soft, round and smooth mouthfeel. soft fruit flavours; stone fruit, green fruit, grapefruit pith and bramble leaf (or nettles).
TIME Family of Wines Chronos Semillon 2020 (BC $29.99)
Winery notes: The wine was 54% stainless steel fermented while the remaining 46% underwent fermentation in Neutral French Oak barrels (20% which was new French oak) The barrel portion went through full malolactic conversion while the stainless portion did not. No fining. 225 cases were produced.
Appearance: A slightly pale, bright lemon colour.
Nose: A light intensity nose with aromas of toast, plus lemon and a whiff of peach. The aromas do get strong with some swirl time in the glass. The aromas stay stronger, medium intensity, after decanting. I get the same toast, lemon and peach, but now add bramble leaf.
Palate: Dry, round, with medium-plus body and acidity. You also get a waxy texture, that is common for Semillon. The strong acidic prickle upfront does smooth out on the mid-palate to the finish. Pronounced flavours; Toast, lemon, green fruit and bramble leaf. There is less toast and much lower acidity after decanting. The wine is much smoother. The fruit flavours are also toned down a bit but still identifiable.
Finish: A medium-plus length finishing with green fruit and citrus pith. Softer finish as the acidity lightens up. A bit tarter finish after decanting.
A classy wine. I think giving this wine a short decant helps soften the wine, making it more approachable.
Rating: – Light toast with lemon and a hint of peach on the nose. Fuller body, dry and round with a waxy texture. Acidic prickle is strong to start but mellows out on the mid palate. Toast, lemon and green fruit flavours.
My Wine and Food Pairing
The scallops were marinated in a white miso, ginger, and garlic mixture before being panfried for 3 minutes per side. Whole wheat noodles were used, but you could use soba noodles. Chopped scallions plus the marinade (after cooking the marinade to brown it up a bit) were placed on the cooked noodles followed by the scallops.
The scallops were juicy and sweet, and I thought should work well with the acidity and citrus/green fruit flavours in these wines. The Chronos Sauvignon Blanc with slightly less acidity, being smooth and round, plus the citrus and green fruit flavours made a great complementary pairing with the scallops. The ginger in the marinade added extra complimentary flavour. The Semillon was a bit higher in acid and too strong in flavour overpowering the dish.
Thank you to Organic Ocean for providing me with these Hokkaido scallops to try and tell you about. You can order scallops and other fish and seafood via their website.
Where Can I Buy These Wines?
You can purchase these wines from the TIME Family of Wines website:
Thank you to TIME Family of Wines for providing me with these wines to review.