Mayhem Wines’ Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris 2019

Why not enjoy a bit of Mayhem this summer? Adding some fun into your life, especially during COVID, can lift your spirits, but do it safely. One safe way to have some fun is to enjoy a glass of BC wine on your patio or deck. Mayhem Wines provided me with their Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc 2019 to review for you.

My Wine Tasting Notes

Mayhem Wines Pinot Gris 2019 (BC $16.52)

The grapes come from three parcels from different vineyards in the Okanagan.  All three parcels were whole bunch pressed and underwent three weeks of fermentation separately. The wine then stayed on its fermentation lees for eight months. 10% of the blend was placed into neutral oak. The wines were then blended together, being filtered before bottling. 555 cases were produced.

Appearance: a pale lemon-green in colour.
Nose: Light with scents of peach and citrus along with some flint or grape stem woodiness. With decanting the aromas stay the same, but you can now add pears.
Palate: Dry with some thickness and roundness. Higher acidity that softens with air. Pronounced citrus flavours together with touches of floral, peach, and orange. There is also some of the grape stem woodiness (or flint) and a mix of stony and steeliness on the palate. The flavours seem less pronounced with decanting and the acidity is softer.  The wine has restrained fruit flavours both before and after decanting. You can add some apple and pear flavours with decanting.
Finish: A medium-length finishing again steely and stony, with tart citrus, floral, and a touch of honey.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars Light aromas of peach and citrus along with some grape stem woodiness.  The aromas continue to the palate.  Very restrained light fruit flavours blend together. Some steeliness and stoniness toward the finish.

Mayhem Wines Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris 2019 with wines in glasses

Mayhem Wines Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris 2019 with wines in glasses

Mayhem Wines Pinot Blanc 2019 (BC $16.52)

The grapes were harvested from the Naramata Bench and held overnight in a cool room before being whole bunch pressed. The juice was settled and racked with 17% being fermented in neutral oak and the remainder, 83%, fermented in stainless steel. Both wines were left on fermentation lees before being filtered and bottled after 8 months. 300 cases were produced.

Appearance: A lighter, bright lemon-green in the glass.
Nose: A medium intensity nose with aromas of citrus, green fruit, grape stem woodiness, and peach. With decanting I also detected some apple and a hint of ginger on the nose.
Palate: This wine is dry and round with a thicker mouthfeel.  A nice smooth texture. Bright acidity and some grape stem woodiness. Pronounced aromas of citrus and green fruit with a touch of peach. This wine also has both a stony and steely character. The wine gets lighter on the mid-palate with decanting, as well as stone fruit flavours are a bit more noticeable.  
Finish: A medium-plus length finishing with citrus and green fruit, and light pepperiness. Some honey and peach on the finish with decanting.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars No need to decant this wine.  You get a mix of citrus and green fruit aromas that continue to the palate.  Some grape stem woodiness as well.  The wine is dry with bright acidity and a nice smooth texture. A mix of stony and steeliness toward the finish.

Where Can I Buy These Wines?

You can purchase these wines through the Mayhem Wines website. The Mayhem Pinot Gris is available at select BC Liquor Stores. The Mayhem Pinot Blanc is available at the Penticton BC VQA Wine Info Centre.

Drink Good Wine. That is my motto and I really want to help you drink good wine. What is good wine? That can be a different thing for each people. Food also loves wine so I also cover food and wine pairings, restaurant reviews, and world travel. Enjoy life with me. MyWinePal was started by Karl Kliparchuk, WSET. I spent many years with the South World Wine Society as the President and then cellar master. I love to travel around the world, visiting wine regions and sharing my passion for food & wine with you. Come live vicariously through me, and enjoy all my recommended wines.

Don't make me whine. Please leave a comment!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.