A Look at the Past
Sperling Vineyards, in Kelowna, BC, has been four generations in the making:
- 1860s – land is cleared, settled and farm established by Giovanni & Rosa Casorso
- 1920s – vines are planted and vineyard established by N. Peter Casorso
- 1930 to today – commercial wine and table grape production by Peter Casorso
- 1978 – Riesling Weiss Family cl 21 established by Bert & Velma Sperling.
- 1980s – new plantings focus on vinifera varieties, especially Pinot varieties
- 2008 – family wine label and wine-making established
- 2015 – organic certification pursued
Sperling Vineyards was created through the vision of internationally renowned wine-maker Ann Sperling & her husband, wine-maker and consultant, Peter Gamble. When Ann’s father, Bert Sperling, was hoping to retire in 2008, the planning began. The desire to keep the historic 1929 family vineyard operational, and having always dreamed of crafting wines from this beautiful site, set the winery into motion. Sperling Vineyards is BC’s oldest, continuously operated vineyard and has been owned by the same family throughout this important history. 2016 marks the second year in the process of organic certification with ProCert Organics.
Partnering with her sister Susan & husband Paul Richardson in 2008, and recruiting niece Jill & husband Rickard Branby (vineyard manager & assistant wine-maker,) Sperling Vineyards has shown its true character and terroir over the past eight vintages. Producing award-winning wines, year after year.
Where to Find Us and the Wines We Will be Pouring
Tasting Room Public/Consumer:
Sperling Vineyards will pour the following during the Trade and consumer tastings:
- 2013 Old Vines Riesling
- 2010 Sparkling Brut
- 2015 Pinot Noir
Other events we will attend:
- Feb. 14th I heart Bubbly 8-10 pm 2010 Brut & 2013 Brut Rose
- Feb. 15th Canadian Wine culture 5-6 pm Old Vines Riesling 2013 & 2010 Brut
- Feb. 17th Heartbreak & Backache 9:30-11:15 am Old Vines Riesling 2011 & Pinot Noir Vin Gris 2015
- Feb. 18th 25 Under $25 5:15-6:45 pm Market Red 2015