Enjoying some Italian antipasti, like olives, prosciutto, and cheese together with a glass of Italian wine is a pleasure. I recently had the pleasure to enjoy this through a visit from the Italian Trade Commission and several food and wine producers. Below are a few wines and some pictures of great food I had to sample. Enjoy!
A Few Excellent Wines
I do not think any of these wines are yet available in Vancouver, but hope they do show up through one of our local agents.
Adanti Azienda Agricola Montelfaco Sagrantinto Passito DOCG 2007 – made from the red Sagrantino grape. This wine had a nice aromas of ripe, purple fruit and nutmeg. Med sweetness and medium tannins. More dark fruit and nutmeg. Very much in the port style. Very tasty.
- Agriverde Riseis Passerina IGT 2014 – made from the white Passerina grape. Light aroma of pears. Dry, and round with medium body and light acidity. Stone fruit flavours. I made a video about this wine. Check it out here.
- Castello Ducale Contessa Ferrara Aglianico Amaro IGT 2011 – made from the red Aglianico grape. Wines made from the Aglianico grape are available in BC. This wine has a dark fruit nose with some nutmeg. Full body, dry, with dark ripe black fruit flavours. Fine tannins.
Guidi Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG Guidi 2013 – made from the white Vernaccia di San Gimignano grape. A mix of ripe pears and other stone fruit aromas. Medium, body, round, and quite fruity. Flavours of ripe apples, pears, and some spearmint. A nice sip on it’s own.
- La Casetta Azienda Agricola E Burdel Trebbiano di Ravenna IGP 2013 – a blend of 97% Trebbiano di Romagnolo, and 3% Albana. Light stonefruit nose. Higher acidity with ripe apple flavour followed by stone fruit. Dry. Very tasty.
- San Marco Frascati DOCG Superiore Crio 12-Denotari 2013 – a blend of 50% Malvasia del Lazio, 20% Grechetto, 15% Malvasia di Candia, and 15% Bellone. This wine, as well as another one from another winery is made using cryo (dry ice) maceration. I will write a separate article on this. The wine has aromas of honey and stone fruit. Round, silky, lower acidity and very fruity. Stone fruit flavours with minerality on the finish.
- Schenk Italia Cantine di Ora Amicone Rosso Veneto IGT 2011 – A blend of Corvina, Rondinella, Molinara, plus several other unnamed red grape varieties. Light ripe dark fruit nose. Medium body, soft and round. Nutmeg, red and black fruit flavours. Excellent.
No comments here, just some pictures of wonderful food samples, made from quality ingredients in Italy. Hopefully BOSA and other companies will pick up several of them.