Our family planted their first Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon vines in 1891. This makes the Cabernet Sauvignon the oldest family owned Cabernet Sauvignon vineyard in the world and the Shiraz the oldest in the Langhorne Creek region. The original plantings by current owner Guy Adams’ great-great grandfather William Formby, led to the estate known as the “Metala” Vineyards, which is recognised as one of the most famous in South Australia. Our business has evolved from five generations of grape growing tradition and, at 300 Ha, is the largest family owned vineyard in the region.
Our Brothers in Arms label, released in 1998 to celebrate our history, is produced only from fruit grown on our Metala vineyards. All our wines are entirely estate grown and made. Our wine styles are focused on structure, texture and balance. We work on an aged release program, ensuring our wines are food ready before release, which gives us a great advantage On Premise.
Guy and his wife Liz see themselves as the caretakers of this family estate. Their respect for the land and the care taken to work in balance with the environment is evident in everything they do. After all they will be handing the property on to their 2 children one day. Living where they work ensures they are very much in control of all aspects of the business from the soil to the bottle, ensuring the highest levels of quality.
Guy and his wife Liz have a clear vision for Brothers in Arms – to showcase what they believe the vineyards are capable of. With the construction of the winery in time for the 2002 vintage, the focus of the winemaking discipline is simple: balance, structure and texture. “by concentrating on these three key elements we find that all the other attributes revolving around fruit, oak, tannins, length of flavour, etc. fall into place” explains Guy.
Langhorne Creek is the largest premium cool climate grape growing region in Australia and is one of the oldest and most significant wine regions. The area was founded on the broad flood plain influenced by the local Bremer and Angas Rivers and dominated by magnificent river gums. For years Langhorne Creek has been one of the wine industry’s best kept secrets.
Taste our Wines
At Vancouver we will be presenting the following wines:
- Killibinbin Sneaky 2013 Shiraz
- Killibinbin Seduction 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Killibinbin Scaredy Cat 2010 Cabernet Shiraz
- Brothers in Arms No.6 2009 Shiraz
- Brothers in Arms 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Side by Side 2012 Malbec
- Side by Side 2014 Rosé
Recent Awards & Accolades
- 2014 International Wine Challenge UK, 12 awards from 12 entries, 1 Trophy / Gold, 4 Silver, 2 Bronze and 4 Commended
- 2014 China Wine & Spirits Best Value Awards, 9 medals from 9 entries, 5 Double Gold, 1 Gold, 2 Silver, 1 Bronze
- 2014 Langhorne Creek Wine Show, 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze
- Brothers in Arms 5 Stars James Halliday, Australian Wine Companion
- Killibinbin Wines 4.5 Star Winery James Halliday, Australian Wine Companion 2015