Australia is the theme country for the Vancouver International Wine Festival 2015. But what do you know about the wineries that you will meet in the Tasting Room, at seminars, or dinners? This, and upcoming articles written by the Australian wineries, and posted here in mywinepal.com, will help you discover these Australian wineries, so you can go to their tables and events with better knowledge and hopefully have a better experience. Our first article is by Gemtree Wines. Enjoy!
Gemtree is a family owned winery dedicated to growing better wine ~ naturally. Paul and Jill Buttery established the Gemtree vineyards in McLaren Vale in 1980. Now their son Andrew runs the business, their daughter Melissa Brown (nee Buttery) is the Biodynamic Viticulturist and her husband, Mike Brown is the Chief Winemaker.
Mike and Melissa’s philosophy is simple – minimal intervention in the winemaking process and a more environmentally conscious farming system to produce wines which are powerful, concentrated, and express the true characteristics of each grape variety and the region.
The vineyards are certified organic and farmed biodynamically The Gemtree family see themselves as custodians of the land and their approach to sustainability is simple ~ it is the right thing to do. It is not just about winemaking, it is about setting new standards for sustainable, generational farming.
Try Our Wines
At Vancouver we will be presenting the following wines;
- 2012 Tatty Road Cabernet Sauvignon
- Moonstone McLaren Vale Savagnin 2014 <Karl’s note. This is a different white grape you may not have tried. Grown mostly in the Jura area of France. Give it a try.>
- Gemtree 2013 Dragon’s Blood
- Luna Temprana McLaren Vale Tempranillo 2014
- Gemtree Stage 7 Shiraz 2012 – Epicurean Way/McLaren Vale Scarce Earth <Karl’s note. Try every “Scarce Earth” project wine you find.>
- Gemstone Chardonnay 2013
- Gemstone Shiraz 2013
Latest posts by mywinepal (Posts)
- Nourish Yourself With the Lure of Seafood and Road 13 Wines - October 15, 2017
- 2014 Bordeaux Release in BC on Saturday Oct 14 2017 - October 13, 2017
- 10 BC Wines to Celebrate with on Thanksgiving - October 4, 2017