A daunting task, picking my favourite wines from a total of 1750 wines being poured at the Vancouver International Wine Festival. Thankfully I was able to visit the Acura International Festival Tasting Room 4 times as Media, splitting time between France and the rest of the world. I have already covered my favourite French wines in a separate article. In this article, I will cover my favourite wines from the rest of the world.
You may notice that I only list a few BC wines. This is intentional on my part, as I have more opportunities to try BC wines throughout the year, so I spent more time trying wines from outside of Canada. If you are interested in my BC wine picks, please check some of my past articles. There are plenty!
- Bodegas Escorihuela 1884 Extra Brut, NV, Argentina – This bubble is a blend of 70% Chardonnay and 30% Pinot Noir. Nice bready nose. Light body, dry with light bubbles. Citrus and stone fruit flavours. Easy to sip.
- Steller’s Jay, Pinnacle, 20015, BC, Canada – This sparkler is made with 100% Pinot Noir. I was told from the wine maker Jason James that this wine spends 5 years on the lees, to give the wine an even richer flavour and texture. The wine has a nice aromas of citrus, lees (a yeasty/bready aroma) and brioche. Full body, dry with a nice creamy bubble. Citrus flavour leading to apples on the palate. Medium acidity with a long finish.
- Summerhill Pyramid Winery Cipes Blanc de Noir, NV, BC, Canada – Very bright citrus and stone fruit flavours. Small creamy bubble. Off-dry balanced by higher acidity. A fun wine to drink!
- Masi Agricola S.P.A., Masi Conte Federico, 2010, Italy – Nice bready aromas. Citrus flavour with some nuttiness and a whiff of petrol. Small creamy bubble.
- Vini Tonon, Villa Teresa Organic Rose Frizzante, NV, Italy – Cherries and strawberry aromas. Off dry with tasty strawberry flavour that leads to cherry later on. Off dry with small bubble.
- Time Estate Winery Chardonnay, 2011, BC, Canada – Light pear aroma. Medium plus body, round and soft in the mouth. Medium acidity. Pears with a hint of sweet spice on the palate.
- Waterbrook Melange White, 2012, Washington, USA – Nice peach and flowers aromas. Off dry, round with medium acidity that balances with the sweetness. Lemon rind and peach on the palate.
- Waterbrook Reserve Chardonnay, 2012, Washington, USA – Very aromatic with tropical fruit and sweet spices. Round, medium body, feeling plush and silky on the palate. Pear and sweet spice flavours.
- Altos Las Hormigas, Malbec Terroir, 2010, Argentina – Ripe cassis and spice aromas. Medium plus body, dry on the palate. Blackberry and raspberry, with some minerality and soft tannins.
- Domaine Bousquet, Grand Reserve Malbec Organic, 2010, Argentina – Nice cassis nose. Medium plus body, soft mouth feel, with dark ripe fruit and coffee flavours. Very easy to drink.
- Vina Cobos, Bramare Lujan de Cuyo, Malbec, 2010, Argentina – Ripe dark fruit and dark chocolate nose. Full body, round and south in the mouth with medium acidity. Ripe dark fruit with a hint of sweet spices. Very soft tannins. Very good quality.
- Domino Del Plata, Susana Balbo Malbec, 2012, Argentina – Nice cassis nose. Very flavourful with blueberries and black fruit. Minerality and some flowers on the palate too. Medium minus tannins. A quality wine.
- Bodegas Escorihuela 1884 Vina Chela Organic Malbec, 2012, Argentina – An interesting nose with nutmeg and red fruit aromas. Medium plus body, with blueberries and nutmeg flavours, and a mineral component.
- Bodega Haarth, Bonarda Organic, 2011, Argentina – Chocolatey nose. Medium body and mouth feel. Dry with dark fruit flavours, and minerality which continued to the finish.
- Las Perdices Don Juan Reserva 2010 – Nice ripe purple fruit aromas. Medium body, with juicy dark fruit flavours, along with some vanilla and minerality. Very tasty.
- Bodegas Vistalba, Corte A, 2011, Argentina – Plums, chocolate, raspberries and other nice juicy ripe fruits on the nose. Full body, round with a good tannic backbone. Ripe raspberries and dark fruit flavours. A very good wine.
- Teusner Wines Albert Shiraz, 2012, Australia – Elegant dark fruit nose. Full body with ripe dark fruits and vanilla on the palate. Very balanced fruit, acidity, and tannins.
- Hester Creek Estate Winery, The Judge, VQA, 2010, BC, Canada – Lots of cinnamon, smoke, and juicy dark fruit aromas. Full body, with ripe juicy black fruit, nutmeg and cocoa. Softer tannins with a dry finish. They were pouring this one from a magnum!
- Lapostolle, Cuvee Alexandre Merlot, 2012, Chile – Nice fruity, plum, and nutmeg aromas. Medium body. Soft mouth feel and medium tannins. Tasty plum flavours.
- Monte del Fra, Amarone, Italy – Dark fruit with some woodiness on the nose. Dark cherries, nutmeg, cocoa and chocolate on the palate. The flavours expand in your mouth the more you aerate it. Soft tannins.
- Cantina di Negrar, Valpolicella DOC Classico Superiore Ripasso “Le Roselle”, 2011, Italy – Some roses on the nose. Tea leaves, nutmeg, and red fruit flavours. Dry with medium minus body.
- Robert Mondavi Winery, Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011, California, USA – Juicy cassis nose. Full body with more juicy cassis on the palate. Round mouth feel with medium tannins. A nice wine.
- Signorello Estate Winery, Padrone, 2010, California, USA – Juicy ripe raspberry nose. Full body and round in the mouth followed with grippy tannins. Very tasty with dark fruit flavours. The tannins dry out your mouth on the finish. Either buy this one to age, or if you need to drink it now, eat it with steak or some other grilled meat.
Some of these wines are general listings, while others are specialty. I do not have a list of which category each falls into, but any wines that were not sold during the wine festival would be on sale at the Vancouver Cambie and 41st liquor store. Drop by and see if you can find a few of my recommended wines. And enjoy!
Latest posts by mywinepal (Posts)
- Check Out 6 New Wine Releases from Monte Creek Ranch - April 16, 2017
- Spring Has Arrived at Road 13 Vineyards – Upcoming Events and More - April 10, 2017
- TWB-The Wine Bar & Provence Marinaside Pop the Cork on New Bubbly Program - April 7, 2017